If you want a smart task routing API to send the right service requests to the right people, they sell TaskRouter. Need Elastic SIP Trunking? Get it. From international coverage to network traversal, their product catalog is extensive and a powerful driver of revenue.
In their S-1, Twilio reported their Dollar-Based Net Expansion Rate (change in revenue, for a specific customer cohort, from one year to another) to be 170%, 153% and 155% for the years 2013, 2014, and 2015 respectively.
In other words, each year Twilio's customers generated about 59% more revenue than they did the year before.
Clearbit is another company with a thick lineup of API-based products, all of which are priced separately, including:
- Discovery: create lists of companies based on different characteristics
- Prospector: find names and email addresses based on a role + company query
- Enrichment: pull location, job title, company size, tech stack and more from an email or a website
Each one of these APIs feeds into the hunger for data that rules marketing and sales but performs a different function, sometimes for a different kind of team, at a different point in the pipeline.
- If you're doing lead gen, you might use Discovery to work up a list of nonprofits in Africa that have >20 employees.
- A primarily-outbound sales team might look to Prospector to find the perfect engineer at Twilio or marketer at HubSpot.
- The marketing team might pass a list of leads through the Enrichment API to understand the location, industry, employee count and total raised by the companies that are buying (or not).
Through this diversification and a handy Segment integration, Clearbit has tons of ways to get into an organization. Whether you're a growth-hacking developer, an email marketer or a sales lead, you can probably find some use for Clearbit on your team.
Once that first contact is made, Clearbit can cross-sell to other people inside the organization with different roles and different needs. It's the classic Land and Expand strategy, except with a handful of different products rather than just one.